Season 1, the stakes were high. Season 2, they're really high again. Just because I don't destroy the Earth doesn't mean somebody else isn't going to destroy the Earth maybe.Alan Tudyk regarding Season 2
Season 2 of the television series Resident Alien was announced on March 17, 2021. The new season is set to premiere on Syfy in two parts. The first part premiered on January 26, 2022 and ended on March 16, with the second part releasing beginning on August 10. Beginning with the second season, episodes are now also released on the streaming service Peacock the day after they premiere on Syfy. Episodes are also made available for purchase on providers such as Amazon.
On October 8, 2021, Syfy released a summary of the first season along with a look at footage from the upcoming season. Alan Tudyk describes the season as "aliener," saying that viewers will get to see some really funny stuff. Elizabeth Bowen stated that viewers would be seeing more of the women (Asta Twelvetrees, D'Arcy Bloom, Kate Hawthorne and Liv Baker) together and exploring their friendship. Judah Prehn, actor of Max Hawthorne, indicates that antagonism between his character and the Harry Vanderspeigle alien will continue. The characters of Lisa Casper and General McCallister will both return.
Showrunner and series creator Chris Sheridan stated Season 2 is different from the first season in that it is set in summer and will feature an escalation of Harry's journey towards becoming human. According to Alan Tudyk, every character from the first season is in the second, but doing more. Additionally, a Syfy exclusive video promo for the season hints at the presence of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as a guest star.
This season adopts a plotline from the original Resident Alien comics in which Harry Vanderspeigle seeks an alien in New York.
Filming for the second half of the second season had not yet taken place at the time of the premiere of the first half, with filming taking place from February 27, 2022 in Ladysmith, British Columbia, Canada. Showrunner Chris Sheridan admitted that the filming causes disruption to the town's residents but stated they make every effort to be as respectful as possible. He further stated that "There are crew members who are so excited to go back to shoot but excited to go to their favourite bakery, all these wonderful places in town they love going to, buying merchandise from. It’s really a nice place to shoot."
For the second half of the season, showrunner Chris Sheridan promised that Terry O'Quinn would return as the alien tracker Peter Bach, that the remaining mystery regarding Sam Hodges's murder would be solved and that viewers would see much more of the alien baby first seen in "Alien Dinner Party." Viewers will also see Asta Twelvetrees work through the emotions of killing someone.
He's humanity's only hope. We're screwed.Tagline
On his new quest to protect the people of Earth, Harry struggles to hold on to his alien identity as his human emotions grow stronger by the day. In an adventure that takes Harry and Asta (Sara Tomko) all the way to New York City, Asta brings Harry into the arms of someone he can call family. Back in Patience, Sheriff Mike (Corey Reynolds) and Deputy Liv (Elizabeth Bowen) find themselves closer to unraveling the mystery of Sam Hodges's murder.
Cast and characters
The starring cast has returned:
- Alan Tudyk as Dr. Harry Vanderspeigle
- Sara Tomko as Asta Twelvetrees
- Corey Reynolds as Sheriff Mike Thompson
- Alice Wetterlund as D'Arcy Bloom
- Levi Fiehler as Mayor Ben Hawthorne
- Judah Prehn as Max Hawthorne
- Elizabeth Bowen as Deputy Liv Baker (credited as a guest star in Season 1)
The following guest stars also appear or return, among others:
- Nathan Fillion as 42 - an octopus in a tank at a Japanese restaurant that Vanderspeigle previously spoke with telepathically.
- Meredith Garretson as Kate Hawthorne
- Alex Borstein as Carlyn - Kate Hawthorne's cousin from out-of-town. Described as a frizzy-haired, right-brained laser-physicist, she is socially awkward and is immediately attracted to Harry Vanderspeigle, ultimately going on a date with him.
- Linda Hamilton as General McCallister
- Mandell Maughan as Lisa Casper
- "Old Friends" (January 26, 2022)
- "The Wire" (February 2, 2022)
- "Girls' Night" (February 9, 2022)
- "Radio Harry" (February 16, 2022)
- "Family Day" (February 23, 2022)
- "An Alien in New York" (March 2, 2022)
- "Escape from New York" (March 9, 2022)
- "Alien Dinner Party" (March 16, 2022)
- "Autopsy" (August 10, 2022)
- "The Ghost of Bobby Smallwood" (TBA)
- "The Weight" (TBA)
- TBA (season finale)
Behind the scenes
- Syfy released via its website Syfy Wire a list of things hoped for the second season. Among these were a look at the alien Harry Vanderspeigle's homeworld and more time spent with the characters of Asta Twelvetrees and her daughter, Jay.
- On July 29, 2021, the cast had their first table read for season 2.
- Series creator Chris Sheridan described watching Alex Borstein and Alan Tudyk perform together as "magical" and suggested Borstein's character may appear again.
- Taglines for the second season include "Guess who's back for seconds," "He's humanity's only hope. We're screwed." and "He's back. We're doomed."
- Production of the first half of the second season was heavily impacted by the global COVID-19 pandemic. Among other things, it forced the show to remain in Canada for the shooting of scenes which within the program took place in New York.
- Syfy - Season 2, Part 2 First Look (must register to view)
- Syfy - Resident Alien Season 2 Character Recap
- "Resident Alien Season 2 to Premiere in January, Will Be Split in Two Parts" by Nick Caruso. December 9, 2021
- "Resident Alien: Syfy Unveils Trailer & Premiere Date for Final Episodes of Season 2!" by Paul Dailly. July 1, 2022
- Variety: ‘Resident Alien’ Renewed for Season 2 at Syfy by Joe Otterson. March 17, 2021.
- Hugs, Hijinks and Harry... by Caltlin Busch. December 9, 2021.
- Syfy - Resident Alien Creator Chris Sheridan Teases Season 2 Secrets
- Second season of ‘Resident Alien’ returns to Ladysmith streets by Alex Rawnsley. February 26, 2022.
- Parade - Resident Alien Creator Chris Sheridan Gives a Sneak Peek into Who's Coming Back After Midseason by K.L. Connie Wang, March 17, 2022.
- TV Line - "Resident Alien Season 2 First Look: Is Alex Borstein Harry's Perfect Match?" by Nick Caruso. September 27, 2021.
- Syfy Wire: 5 Things We Desperately Need to See in Resident Alien Season 2 by Phil Pirrello. April 9, 2021.
- Tweet by actress Elizabeth Bowen: We had the first official table read of S2 today and I think I can safely say that we’re all PRETTY FRICKIN’ EXCITED to get to work ok. July 29, 2021.
- Comic Co-Creator Based Asta and Sheriff Mike on His familly by John Welss. March 2, 2022.